Monday, February 25, 2008

Knit, Crochet and Macrame Hemp Creations

Diana at Knit, Crochet and Macrame Hemp Creations makes beautiful pieces that have a high visual impact, while leaving a low impact on the environment. “I chose to work with hemp because it has a low impact on the environment. It can be harvested in as little as 100 days, and does not need to be sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals, in fact it even fertilizes the soil for future crops. Hemp can grow in near drought conditions therefore it is not a huge drain on precious water resources.” To find out more on why she chooses this particular material, view her profile.

Any natural material has an appeal to Diana. “I don’t know if I could pick just one, it changes all the time. I love any natural fiber! I just started a project using a bamboo / wool blend yarn and it is beautiful – very soft and silky.” She doesn’t use patterns, but is inspired by the materials themselves.

Diana’s full time job is home schooling her three children, and she uses her crafting as a creative outlet. “It can be hard to find the time, but I have to create, it makes me feel whole. I find it help me cope with the day to day stresses of life.” She finds encouragement from her husband. “I remember one time I had asked him to pick me up some more natural colourred hemp on his errands. Now, my hubby is not the craftiest guy, and does not particularly like craft stores – but he went anyway. Much to my surprise, he bought many different colours of hemp, tons of different beads and containers to organize my supplies. He was so happy to show me his finds! He even found some mood beads which have turned out to be some of my best sellers.”

No comments: